Sedation dentistry refers to the use of sedation during dental treatments to help patients feel more relaxed. It can be particularly useful for patients with dental anxiety, who are especially likely to develop dental fear or phobia.
Sedation is most commonly achieved through the use of sedative medication. Topical anesthetics such as lidocaine may also be applied to ensure a patient is completely numb. Various sedatives may be used based on the patient and his or her needs.
Types of Dental Sedation
There are three main types of sedation dentistry:
- Oral conscious sedation:This type of sedation dentistry involves taking a pill or drinking a liquid sedative. Your dentist can prescribe the medication for you to take before your appointment. This is the most common form of sedation dentistry. The sedative will help you feel calm and relaxed, but it will not put you to sleep.
- Nitrous oxide: This type of sedation dentistry involves breathing in a mixture of oxygen and nitrous oxide. This is the most common form of sedation dentistry for children. Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is commonly used to help patients feel more relaxed during treatment. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off very quickly.
- IV sedation: This type of sedation dentistry involves an IV being inserted into your arm. The sedative will be administered through the IV and will make you feel relaxed and calm.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry allows patients with dental phobias or dental anxiety to feel comfortable receiving necessary dental treatments. Sedation dentistry can help you overcome your fear of the dentist, decrease stress, and feel comfortable. During your procedure, you’ll be awake but completely relaxed and at ease.
Here are a few benefits of sedation dentistry:
- Sedation dentistry makes long or complicated procedures seem shorter.
Patients who undergo long or complicated procedures may dread their appointment. With sedation dentistry, patients may be able to undergo a long procedure in just one visit. This means a shorter time in the dental chair, which may help patients feel less anxious or nervous.
- Sedation dentistry minimizes pain.
For patients with dental phobia or anxiety, pain may be a significant dental problem. Sedation dentistry, however, can help minimize pain so that patients can stay relaxed in the dental chair.
- Sedation dentistry can help patients with low pain tolerance or sensitive gag reflex.
Some patients have a lower pain tolerance than others. This can be due to anxiety, fear, or stress. With sedation dentistry, these patients may be able to undergo dental procedures without pain. Sedation dentistry also allows patients with a sensitive gag reflex to undergo dental procedures smoothly.
- Sedation dentistry helps patients relax.
Dental phobia or anxiety is a common problem. This can result in patients feeling stressed or nervous in the dental chair. Sedation dentistry can help patients relax, which can help them feel more at ease in the dental chair.
Who Can Benefit From Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is ideal for those who experience intense anxiety and fear when visiting the dentist’s office and for those who want a more extensive dental procedure completed in less time.
If you haven’t scheduled your dental visit yet, contact Focus Dental Group at (801) 255-7101 or visit our dental office located at 6770 S 900 E Suite 301, Midvale, UT 84047.